Demo

English French German Greek Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish Swedish

Porto Kagio Mani

Porto Kagio: The last port of eastern Mani, and go down to the Cape Tenaro. Locatedporto-kagio-area in a small and secluded bay, just south of Achillion.

Portokagio's younger naval designation. His real, like they know the locals, is Psomathias and Homer Psamathefs. Pausanias and Strabo called the Ancient Psamathous fit for ports. Was the only seaport village Palyros. The surface of the port is less than one square kilometer, the inlet opening has a length of about 220m. and is the southernmost natural harbor of the mainland.

It is one of the most important ports of Mani, which was used by the Phoenicians, the Minoans, the goblet, Romans, Byzantines, Franks, Venetians, Turks, French, English, etc., as a natural anchorage.

In Porto Cayo found remains of tombs and inscriptions, while the name comes from Porto or Gualgio (Port of gravel) or the Port aux Cailles (port of quail) because the quail was used as the last stop before their big trip.

The 4 th century BC used together with the region as a center for mercenaries. Belonged to the "Common Spartans "and were given back to Sparta in 21 BC

Regional has three beaches: the Portokagiou, Neoria and Kalamos to the right of the castle of the Achilles. The narrowing of the land from the Shipyards (east Laconic Bay - Aegean Sea) and Marmari (west Messenian Gulf - Ionian Sea) is about 500 meters. By narrowing it to the south and called Tenaro Kritiri, a name derived from the kritirio souls - psychopompeio in antiquity. The Portokagio located on the east side of Kritiriou.

Entering the entrance of the left arm Portokagiou said Xinteri has fotosimantra for incoming boats. Intermediates of the arm is a chapel that St. Nicholas and next to the ruins of Tampa Lambros Katsoni that the Second Russo-Turkish War 1787 - 1792 was the base of.

In 1481 he left Porto Cayo hero Kladas, in 1614 the Maniots killed 500 Turks attacked them and in 1792 the Turkish fleet blockaded the harbor Lambros Katsoni without success.

The Katsonis had the support of the Empress Catherine of Russia, which capitulated to the Turks in 1792, but he continued to struggle with the support of Mani. At his side was the best man of Androutsos, which was christened the son of Ulysses who later became the form of '21, and Captain Zacharias Barmpitsiotis. Katsoni In attacked French and Turkish fleet and after a hard struggle eidopoiimenos from Bey Grigoraki left aided by Mani and Captain Zacharias. The Mani hid the military equipment of ships and cannon one we see today is likely to be from ships of goat

 

 

 

The Area of Porto Kagio

Just click on the marks to explore the area around us.

Around Katafigio Village - Agios Dimitrios you will find:

 

Agios Nikolaos (Greek: Άγιος Νικόλαος, Saint Nicholas) is a fishing village in the Mani Peninsula in southern Greece; it is popular with holidaymakers. The village, known to English-speaking tourists as "Ag Nik," lies about 30 kilometres (19 mi) south-east of Kalamata, on the eastern shore of the Messenian Gulf, and about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) south of Stoupa, a larger tourist village. It is part of the municipal unit of West Mani in Messenia.

Stoupa (Greek: Στούπα) is a village on the coast of the southern Peloponnese peninsula in Greece. It is part of the municipal unit of West Mani, in Messenia and the historic region of Mani Peninsula.

Kardamyli (Greek: Καρδαμύλη, variously transliterated as Kardamyle, Cardamyle, Kardhamili, and Kardamili

Cave Catafigi, Just 50m from the Complex you will find Cave Katafigi.
This cave has been known to the locals since the 1900s.
During the civil war it was used as a shelter by the rebels but its history seems to begin ages before that time.
Bones and fossils have been found inside, that link the cave to times well before the age of written history.
Old legends speak of a cave that reaches the outskirts of Sparta.
Today, the cave has been explored and charted in most of its part through several campaigns, and its end it believed to have been found. However, certain branches remain unexplored to this day.

Visit in Ladbrokes bingo information.

Akrotiri, where the land ends...

...the heaven begins

Contact Us

Tel. +30 697 880 9824

Email: akrotiri (at) porto-kagio.com

Contact Form Here

WeAcceptBitcoin

Room Photos

hotel-photos

Licence number 12.48.K.11.3K.02259.00.00

Built with HTML5 and CSS3
© 2013 Created and Supported: myhostingway.com